Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Coping with Homesickness

College is a life-changing experience that can be a difficult transition for many young adults. Not only is there an educational transition, but an emotional one too. Leaving home, sometimes for the first time, can be a struggle for students and parents.

Going off to college was the first time I was away from my home for more than one week. Even though I was only 40 minutes away, I still struggled emotionally. I missed my friends, family, and my old high school days. The first few weeks of my freshmen year were very hard, but I learned to cope with my emotions and adjust to my new lifestyle. Communication is key to adjusting and overcoming homesickness. I always talked to my friends through AIM, we called each other all the time, and they came to visit. I also communicated with my parents on a regular basis. Allowing my parents to help me transition was very important. It is important to not completely shut your family out.

If you are struggling with homesickness there are a few things to do. You can let your parents visit, chat through AIM/email, allow your parents to encourage and comfort you through the difficult transition, talk about what is bothering you, and ask questions!


You may want to take advantage of your freedom, but it is important to contact your parents because they are struggling just as well. My parents helped me cope with my struggles and as time went on I became better friends with the people in my classes and dorm, and I didn't need to rely so much on my high school friends. I became well adjusted to my surroundings and it was for the better. If you are homesick, don't go home every weekend and ignore the situation! Talk to an RA, a counselor, or your parents because you can get through it!


Surviving College Life - http://www.survivingcollegelife.com


How would you deal with homesickness?


Survey for Incoming College Freshmen:

Click Here to take survey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a great post for incoming freshman. I remember when I was a freshman in college and dealing with being away from home.